About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog which I hope to develop with some interesting material on ultra running both on the trails and road including reports on races and interesting training runs, views on kit and equipment as well as anything else I find of interest. I love running for adventure, opportunity and well being. Enjoy!

Saturday 27 August 2011

Had to pull :o(

No luck with the 5 out of 5. Gutted. Felt strong for the first 10 hours, but started to develop a chest infection soon after Bonatti (c. 83km). It wds probably on the back of a recent cold which seems to have lingered, then running in below freezing conditions, snow and heavy rain has triggered this rather bizzare issue.

My breathing became increasingly laboured to the point at which running downhill had me working as if I was running steeply up. Not good. Endeavoured to soldier on but got to the point where I was in danger of starving my body of oxygen and doing proper damage, so pulled the plug soon out of Champex. I think I was in 12th at the time, had been working my way through the field in my usual style all race and legs felt good enough to be striking higher positions.

Just back from a precautionary trip to the hospital - managed to avoid the overnight stay which they seemed quite keen on!.....

Thanks for all the support from everyone, very touching.

16 comments:

Bryon Powell said...

Sorry to hear that, Jez. I developed an unfortunate case of chunky lungs myself. Eventually, my energy levels were sapped and, although my legs and feet were perfect, I was walking downhill. I pulled at La Fouly.

Way to run tough!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear Jez but a sensible move. Sometimes, when you are so set on racing and racing well, it takes more mental strength to call it then to continue

mike mason said...

Jez you made the right decision.There is always another year. Murdo kept me updated with reports. All the best Mike from gill's ipad

Chris said...

That's too bad Jez, but glad you made the right decision.

Ultra Disco Stu said...

Totally gutted for you Jez. You were definitely working your way up through the field in true Jez style. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Seems this year that this race spat out many of the top elite runners. Would you put this down to the conditions?

Tim said...

Very disappointing for you but I'm sure the right decision Jez. There will always be other years.

Peter Duggan said...

Afraid these things happen, Jez, but still sorry for you after all that effort!

John Kynaston said...

I was so sorry to see that you had stopped when we were following the race over the weekend but from your report it sounds the only decision to make.

Recover well.

Mike Raffan said...

Sorry to hear that, Jez. sounds like quite a few had the same issue

Chris Coghlan said...

Jez..

I pulled out with the same condition.. Thought I could cough it off during the day but it seemed to get worse and worse as the race progressed. Pulled out at La Fouly.. Bryon Powell describes it perfectly "chunky lungs"
horrific feeling going up hill, i was getting close to a full on panic attack on several occasions.. No Oxygen whatsoever!!
Hope you make a speedy recovery mate! I'm still in turbo lockdown.

If anyone knows hoe to reduce the chances of getting this condition in the future, I would love to hear from you!

Cheers

"e Brutto" said...

Bad luck.
Giving up the fags and never knowingly over training seems to have me free of chest infections.
From your blog and the stress fracture seems likely to be the later you need to work on ;¬)

Keith Hughes said...

Bummer mate, shit happens.. Hope the recovery is swift.. Know you will be back.. ATB KH

Anonymous said...

Jez, bad luck with that. It sounds like a tough one (tougher?) this year. Was great to follow you at the UTMB after your recent successes though. Good luck with the recovery and hope to follow you in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment.

Good rest and the best for the continuation.

Eric

Simon Pender said...

Jez, so sorry to hear you fell unwell. Your health is more important thought, and I'm sure you'll be back for revenge next year! Saw you on Eurosport but missed the last 10 minutes as the recording stopped ! Take care, all the best from your cousin Simon

Hippo said...

Mark Woolley developed pulmonary oedema on the UTMB too.
You did well to avoid the hospital though - I've just been on a 24hr drip after the Ridgeway (though it was connected to a stomach bug rather than the race!)
... but i'm sure you'll be back!
Stuart